Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chili peppers, preferably “fire-roasted”, drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspooon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- To serve: shredded Monterey jack cheese, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce
- Prep: -
- Cook: -
- Serves: 6-8
- Combine the chicken, onions, celery, green chili peppers, garlic, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, coriander, oregano, and bay leaf in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir to make sure the spices coat everything, and nestle the chicken into the vegetables. Pour the chicken broth over top, covering the chicken and vegetables by an inch or so.
- Cover and cook on the HIGH setting for 4 hours on the LOW setting for 6 hours. (It's fine to cook for 8 hours on low, if needed, but the chicken tends to fall apart a bit more when you shred after cooking, rather than staying in pieces.)
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker and add the beans and corn. Taste and add another 1/2 teaspoon of salt or other seasonings as desired. Cover and cook for the remaining time.
- Transfer the chicken onto a large plate and shred it into large, bite-sized pieces with 2 forks. Stir the chicken back into the chili and remove the bay leaf. (For a creamier chicken chili, see Recipe Notes below.)
- Serve with shredded cheese, wedges of lime, chopped cilantro, and sour cream.
Creamier chicken chili: For a creamier chili, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup whole milk. Once all the milk is added, continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened. Stir this into the slow cooker along with the beans and corn.
Spicier chicken chili: Roast 2 poblano peppers and 2 jalapeno peppers over a gas flame or under the broiler until charred. When cool enough to handle, rub away the skin, remove the seeds and membranes (or save for an even spicier chili!), and coarsely chop. Add to the slow cooker along with the chicken at the beginning of cooking.