Okra Soup with Shrimp
- ½ pound of smoked meat, such as pork or turkey (optional)
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced, or one 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 hot pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 to 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 pound okra
- 1 small onion
- ½ pound fresh butterbeans, shelled
- Salt, to taste
- ½ pound of shrimp, cleaned
- Prep: 20
- Cook: 20
- Serves: 4
- If using smoked meat, add it to pot with tomato, garlic, hot pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Pour water over meat to just cover. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is tender.
- Slice okra into half-inch pieces. Dice onion. Add okra, butterbeans, and onions to pot; cook until okra is tender, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Salt shrimp and add to pot. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes. Salt to taste throughout cooking process. Serve with rice.
recipes/soups/okra_soup_with_shrimp.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/19 18:39 by bw