Graupensuppe (German Barley)
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup finely chopped peeled russet potato
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup finely chopped celery root
- ½ cup finely chopped leek
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 German sausages, like bockwurst or bratwurst (available from Koenemann Sausage Co.)
- 1 2-oz. piece bacon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Prep: -
- Cook: 35
- Serves: 8
- Heat butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; add onion, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley, and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, potato, carrot, celery root, leek, marjoram, sausages, and bacon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausages are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Remove sausages and bacon from saucepan, thinly slice sausages, and discard bacon.
- Season soup with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into 8 serving bowls, and garnish with parsley and sliced sausage.
recipes/soups/graupensuppe_german_barley.txt · Last modified: 2018/07/22 06:27 (external edit)