Not-Apple Zucchini Pie
- 4 to 6 larger zucchini
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces, divided
- Prep: -
- Cook: 45
- Serves: 1 pie
- Peel the zucchini with a vegetable peeler, removing all the green skin. Cut in half lengthwise. Use the edge of a spoon to scrape out the seeds from the center, then cut each piece in half lengthwise again, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. You’ll need about 6 cups of sliced zucchini.
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the zucchini, reduce the heat to medium and cook briefly, about 3 to 4 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain well in a colander, then place in a mixing bowl with lemon juice and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cream of tartar, flour, and cornstarch. Mix well. Add to the zucchini and mix well.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate with crust. Dump the zucchini mixture, juices and all, into the crust, and dot with 4 tablespoons of butter, cut into small bits. Cover with the top crust, turning the edges under and crimping. Cut several vents in the top with the tip of a sharp knife, then scatter the remaining pieces of butter over the crust.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until golden-brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
recipes/baking/not-apple_zucchini_pie.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/19 18:42 by bw