Chocolate Molasses Cookies
- ½ cup/115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1 ½ cups/190 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ cup/45 grams cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup/65 grams granulated sugar
- ½ cup/120 milliliters molasses
- 1 large egg
- Sanding, Demerara or granulated sugar, for decoration
- Prep: -
- Cook: -
- Serves: -
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat and add ginger, if using. Remove from heat and let sit a few minutes while you prepare everything else.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, molasses, egg and ginger butter. Using a spatula, slowly mix into dry ingredients, mixing until no dry spots remain.
- Using your hands, roll small balls of dough about the size of a quarter (dough will be soft — if it is too soft for you to handle, pop into the fridge for a few minutes to firm up). Roll the balls in the sanding sugar and place on the prepared baking sheets about 1-inch apart.
- Bake until just puffed and baked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool completely before eating.
recipes/baking/chocolate_molasses_cookies.txt · Last modified: 2019/10/28 00:00 by bw