- 2c water
- 1 1/4c milk
- 1tsp salt
- 1c grits
- 1/2c butter
- Prep: 5
- Cook: 30
- Serves: 5
- In a small pot, bring water, milk and salt to a boil. Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture. Stir continuously and thoroughly until grits are well mixed. - Let the pot return to a boil, cover pot with a lid, lower the temperature, and cook for approximately 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of smooth cream of wheat.
- Serve with butter, fruit or savory with a meal.
- 3 1/4c whole milk
- 1c grits
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4c grated cheddar (or goat cheese, or…)
- 1/2tsp kosher salt
- 1/4tsp fresh pepper
- bacon, chives, etc. for serving
- Same as above but stir in cheese and toppings at end.
Shrimp & Grits
- 2 servings cooked grits
- 1TB olive oil
- 1/2c diced tasso ham
- 2TB diced leeks
- 2TB diced green pepper
- 20 peeled and de-veined shrimp with tails
- 1TB white wine
- 1c heavy cream
- chopped green onions
- Cook grits at usual.
- Saute ham and vegetables, add shrimp and saute for 30-45 seconds until pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan white wine, slowly add cream and let it reduce until thickened.
Sean Brock's Grits
- 2c stone ground grits
- 8c water
- 2-3 bay leaves (fresh is best)
- kosher salt
- 1 lemon
- butter, to taste
- hot sauce, optional
- Put the grits in a bowl and cover with the water. Let soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Quickly skim any hulls or chaff that have risen to the top of the water, and then pour everything — water and grits — into a large pot over high heat. Stir rapidly until it reaches a boil.
- As soon as it boils, cover the pot and take it off the heat to “relax” for about ten minutes.
- After they’ve rested, put them back over low heat, uncovered, and add the bay. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring often, until the grits are tender.
- When the grits are done and you’re ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and season to taste with salt, lemon juice, and butter. Serve with additional butter and hot sauce, if you like.
recipes/vegetarian/southern_grits.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/15 00:44 (external edit)