Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
MAC AND CHEESE
- 1 pound dry cavatappi pasta or medium pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prep: -
- Cook: 40
- Serves: 8
- Arrange a rack in the top third of the oven and heat to 400°F. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Make the cauliflower cheese sauce: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves and boil for 5 minutes to infuse water.
- Add the cauliflower and cook until very fork tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet or medium bowl out of the water, leaving the herbs and garlic behind in the pot (do not drain the pot).
- Place 1/2 of the cauliflower in a blender or food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Scoop out 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid and add it to the blender along with 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil. Blend until very smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the purée to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower, 3/4 cup of cooking liquid, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil; transfer to the same bowl.
- Add the cheddar, Gruyère, mustard, salt, and pepper into the purée and whisk to combine. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed; set aside.
- For the macaroni and cheese: Bring the pot of infused water back to a boil. Add the pasta and cook per package instructions until just al dente. Meanwhile, combine the melted butter and breadcrumbs in a small bowl; set aside.
- Drain the pasta, discard the herbs and garlic cloves, and add the pasta to the bowl of cauliflower sauce. Stir gently until the pasta is entirely coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top, followed by the grated Parmesan.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and bake until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. If the pasta becomes bubbly before the top is golden, you can run the dish under the broiler for a minute or two to crisp the topping.
recipes/pasta/cauliflower_mac_and_cheese.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/15 00:44 (external edit)