Small Birds Sardinian Style
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 2 large bay leaves
- 3 large quail, partridge, dove, or other meaty little bird
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 to 2 cups chicken stock, or as needed
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oi
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped drained capers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prep: -
- Cook: -
- Serves: 6
- Combine the onion, carrots, celery, anchovies, and bay leaves in the bottom of a saucepan just large enough to hold the birds in a single layer. Rinse the birds and place in the pan, then add the wine and enough stock to cover. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook gently until the birds are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, and capers, and season to your taste with salt and pepper. Remove the birds from the pan, cut them in half lengthwise, and arrange them on a serving dish. Pour the sauce over top and allow to cool before serving.
- NOTE: Strain and save the stewing liquid for other uses.
recipes/meat/small_birds_sardinian_style.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/15 00:44 (external edit)