Mediterranean Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Olive oil
- 10 ounces wide, dried egg noodles
- 1 pound small red potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) cans olive-oil packed tuna, drained
- 1 box (9 ounces) frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
- 3/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Prep: 15
- Cook: 25
- Serves: 4-6
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart or 9×13-inch baking dish with oil; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for 2 minutes less than recommended on the package directions. Drain the noodles, then transfer them to a large bowl. Toss them immediately with a drizzle of olive oil so they don't clump together; set aside.
- Fill the pot with water again and bring to a boil. Add the potato slices and cook for 4 minutes. Drain well, then return them to the pot.
- While the noodles and potatoes are cooking, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it melts and foams up, add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the egg noodles to the pot of potatoes, then pour the sauce over them. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, tuna, artichoke hearts, capers, olives, scallions, parsley, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with more salt as needed.
- Transfer to the baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
recipes/casserole/mediterranean_tuna_noodle_casserole.txt · Last modified: 2021/09/15 00:44 (external edit)